April 8, 2012

Old adolescent or baby adult?

I'm not sure when it happened.

I think somewhere between growing a kick-ass sticker collection and making my own dentist appointments, but I recently realized I'm getting old. Not old as in i'm so mature, I no longer find Jersey Shore amusing, but quite the opposite. My age keeps increasing, but my level of sophistication isn't exactly advancing at a rapid pace. The greatest stress in my life stems from a DVR that is at 100% or getting too behind on Words with Friends. Famous athletes and people on The Real World are younger than me, and this really trips me out.

Sometimes at work I feel like I'm faking it, playing pretend. "Hey guys! Look at me giving a presentation in heels!" That's when I realize, no...I really am giving a presentation in heels. Because this is my job.

25 is a weird age. I see it as a toss up as to whether or not you're a true adult or still an immature asshole. Take Friday nights for example. Some of my friends are juggling babies, second jobs, and more babies. I'm usually juggling a glass of wine while I try on a million different outfits as my roommate and I analyze the deeper meaning of a completely insignificant text message.

All this has led me to do some serious thinking lately. Don't even try to tell me these aren't important life questions:
-How many more years will I be able to camp at the Gorge, drinking PBR and wearing cutoff shorts, before it's creepy?
-My parent's bed is always made. At what point will I have to start making my bed every day?
-Is going to Chelan for Memorial Day still acceptable? (I think I already know the answer to this one. And it's a big fat no)
-All day hangovers: a normal occurrence or a sign of impending alcoholism? All day hangovers that revolve around a Kardashian's marathon: really pathetic or really awesome?
-How long will I be able to shop at Forever 21? Because if the name gives any indication, I am four years overdue. Side note, my sweet grandma refers to Forever 21 as "the store for hookers." she has a point...
-At what point do I need to start learning how to cook? Let me rephrase that. When do I have to stop passing off top ramen and Nutella as an acceptable meal?

If you're older than 30, you are likely rolling your eyes. So young and naive, fretting about the future while in her mid-20s. But if you're older than 30, what in the actual fuck are you doing spending your time on my blog? Go do adult shit for god sake. Don't you need to like, review your stock options or send a fax or something? Or talk on your landline? SLOL (seriously laughing out loud).

These oatmeal cookies are better than your average oatmeal cookie. The recipe uses brown butter, which in my opinion really adds a great depth of flavor. Do I sound like I know what I'm talking about? Do I sound...wise, perhaps? They are really good, and obviously come out chewy and fluffy. chuffy.

Besides, adults eat oatmeal, right?


Brown Butter Oatmeal Cookies
How Sweet it Is
Makes 18 cookies

Ingredients
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup chocolate chips

Heat a small saucepan over medium-low heat and add butter. Whisking constantly, cook butter until bubbly and small brown bits appear on the bottom of the pan, about 5-6 minutes. Watch closely and immediately remove the butter from the heat, whisking for an additional 30 seconds or so. Set aside and let cool COMPLETELY. It doesn't need to solidify, but it should not be warm to the touch.

In a bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, oats, and cinnamon. Set aside.

Once the butter has cooled, add to a large bowl. Whisk in sugar, stirring until smooth. Add in the egg and vanilla, whisking until smooth again. Slowly begin to stir in the dry ingredients, using your hands if necessary to bring dough together. Fold in chocolate chips. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375F. Form dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. Place about 2 inches apart on a nonstick baking sheet and bake for 10-11 minutes, or until bottoms are just barely golden. Let cool before serving.

1 comment:

  1. -How many more years will I be able to camp at the Gorge, drinking PBR and wearing cutoff shorts, before it's creepy?

    As long as your legs look awesome...pretty much as long as you want.
    Getting wasted, stealing people's lawn chairs and falling off a fence (@the gorge)...is a different question...but that was when I was 26.
    =) marina

    ReplyDelete